Short Story- The Two Pots

Paromita Pramanick
Short Story for Children- 'The Two Pots'
It was a season of cyclones when rain poured down heavily all throughout a village for several days. Due to the continuous rainfall, there was a flood everywhere and the village got flooded. All the houses in the village were drowned in the flood and many things were floating on water. Now there were two pots in a house and both were being washed away in the flood with the same water flow towards a river. Those two pots were a Copper Pot and an Earthen Pot, both were floating on water and struggling to survive for themselves.
Paromita Pramanick
Earthen Pot
Those two pots float down the waterway terribly. The Copper Pot asks the Earthen Pot to stay close to it, but the Earthen Pot refuses thinking that the Copper Pot is stronger than itself. Hence fearing its breakage the Earthen Pot kept a distance from the Copper Pot.
Paromita Pramanick
Copper Pot
The Copper Pot noticed the Earthen Pot was struggling hard to escape from the flow of running water, it called the Earthen Pot and said, "My dear friend you are made of mud and you are so weak. I don't think you can stay afloat for a long time. Please come near me, I'll save you from drowning and protect you from the flood." The Earthen Pot replied, "My friend, I thank you for your kindness. But you are too strong and much harder than me. If I come near you, I could be broken into pieces. Therefore, I shall protect myself and let me swim to the bank of the river myself."

After saying this to the Copper Pot, the Earthen Pot moved to another direction to find a safer place. It began to swim and finally reached the bank of the river. But when the Copper Pot tried to swim, water got filled with it and was about to get drowned in water. The Earthen Pot looked at the Copper Pot and felt sorry saying, "I am sorry my friend, but I'm helpless too, because if I strike near you I shall suffer my breakage due to your strong metallic body, and also if I get back into the water my earthen body would wash off with the flow of water and I too will be drowned." Saying this the Earthen Pot helplessly turned its face and moved away from the river. And in the meanwhile, the Copper Pot was drowned in the river water.
Paromita Pramanick

Moral: Equal characteristics make the best friends.

Reference: Various.

Also, find other Short Stories on the blog-
The Foolish Bear 

Paromita Pramanick ©2018. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.